Sean Michael Ragan
13004 S. Madrone Trl.
Last Updated 2008-05-15
To download a .pdf version of this file click here.
To work in a creatively open, intellectually challenging, and friendly scientific atmosphere in either an academic or industrial setting.
- Master of Science Program, Chemistry, September 2005 – Present
- Bachelor of Science, Chemistry, 3.70 GPA, May 2005
- Bachelor of Arts, Philosophy
- History Minor
- 3.77 GPA
- Cognitive Science Major
- 3.68 GPA
- Full Scholarship
Research Associate, Eric V.
- Conducting original research into the use of substituted hydrazine arrays for urinalytic detection of idiosyncratic drug response.
- Maintaining anhydrous solvent delivery system and group PC network.
Research Assistant, Stephen F. Martin, UT, May 2004 – January 2005
- Assisted in the development of methods for conjugate addition to α,β-unsaturated lactams and the exploitation of these methods for natural product synthesis.
- Worked under graduate student Martin Petterson on improvements to the total synthesis of Rynchophylline.
Research Assistant, David VandenBout, UT, March 2003 – February 2004
- Assisted in research intended to directly measure the photobleaching rate of Rhodamine 6G.
- Wrote Standard Operating Procedures for 9 laboratory lasers in accordance with university and state safety regulations.
- Compiled exhaustive laboratory chemical inventory.
Clarke Research Fellow, University of Texas at Dallas, Summer 1994 & 1995
- Worked under Dr. Richard Golden in UTD’s department of Cognitive Science. At the time, Dr. Golden’s work concerned modeling text comprehension and recall behaviors in children.
- Assisted in debugging user interface for Dr. Golden’s DIGRAPH and MAKEDIG software packages, tools intended for use by researchers interested in generating directed-graph models of text features.
- Authored draft of user’s manual for MAKEDIG and DIGRAPH software packages.
- Participated in graduate- and post-graduate-level Text Comprehension Models Seminar conducted by Dr. Golden, and presented a 1980 paper on prose readability to Dr. Golden and his students.
- Assisted Ms. Rebecca Horn, one of Dr. Golden’s doctoral students, in the administration of her research into text-recall patterns in college students.
- Designed visual presentation of DIGRAPH software operating process for use by Dr. Golden at the 1995 convention of the Society for Text and Discourse.
- Co-authored talk delivered by Dr. Golden at the 1995 annual convention of the Society for Text and Discourse.
- Received formal acknowledgment in Dr. Golden’s 1997 paper “Causal network analysis validation using synthetic recall protocols, published in Behavior Research, Methods, Instruments, & Computers.
2D & 3D Network Modeling
ChemDraw, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop, Illustrator
Patent Application Research and Preparation
Reading proficiency in Spanish.
Bench synthesis under inert atmosphere/anhydrous conditions.
Awards & Honors
Pfizer Global Research and Development Award, Fall 2004 & Spring 2005
University Co-operative Society Undergraduate Research Fellowship Award, 2004-2005
Summer Undergraduate Research Stipend, Summer 2004
Adele Steiner Burleson Writing Competition, UT Austin English Department
- 3rd Prize for Essay, Spring 2003, “A Utilitarian Considers War.”
- 1t Prize for Nonfiction, Spring 1999. “The Ephemeralization of Educational Objectives by the Info-structure.”
- 3rd Prize for Criticism, Spring 1999. “Undoing Ourselves.”
- 3rd Prize for Fiction, Spring 1999. “The Initiation of The Navigator.”
- 1st Prize for Nonfiction, Spring 1997. “Writing as a Psychedelic Experience.”
Quoted, The Wall Street Journal, October 17, 2003, p. W1, “The Low Life.”
- Taught, supervised, and/or graded in 5 distinct lab and lecture courses in physical and organic chemistry.
- Employment was per-semester, intersticed with “research only” semesters during which I was paid by Dr. Anslyn.
Property Manager, Arend Real Estate, February 2002 - June 2002
- Collected rents, served notices, scheduled maintenance, and kept books for approximately 30 commercial and residential rental properties in the Austin area.
- Also assisted in preparation and filing of various legal pleadings pursuant to divorce and child custody proceedings for owner’s small family law practice.
Events Manager, BookPeople, Inc., April 2001 - February 2002
- Worked with press agents to schedule various author in-store appearances.
- Maintained events calendar for store newsletter and webpage.
- Administered and emceed in-store author appearances.
Consultant, UT Undergraduate Writing Center, June 1997 – December 1999
- Provided assistance to UT Austin undergraduate students from all departments with any phase of the writing process, from brainstorming to proofreading.
- Helped to maintain an electronic database of student and consultation information for use in pedagogical research.
- Communicated with course instructors about students’ progress